Many employers are very keen to recruit diverse workforces to reflect their client base and to create more interesting teams. Some have specific diversity initiatives whilst others are changing the way they recruit (Strengths, Psychometric testing, gamification) to broaden the talent pool that they can draw from.
You are not required to disclose your sexual orientation and/or gender identity when applying to an employer, but you may choose to do so.
It might be apparent from your membership of societies for example that you are a LGBTUA+ applicant. If your application is rejected it is unlikely to be because of your sexual orientation and/or gender identity and more likely that you did not meet the criteria of the role, given the legal safeguards in place. However, if you are invited to interview it demonstrates that your sexual orientation and/or gender identity is not a barrier to employment.
It is your choice what to include in your applications – if in doubt book an appointment with a careers consultant.
However there may still be some barriers that certain groups may face in finding and accessing the right careers for them that may manifest in a number of ways;
Knowledge of Professions or Sectors limited by the opportunity to network and connect with the right or broader range of people, little or no work experience, discrimination, lower grades to factor beyond their control.
There are a range of resources, networks and schemes out there to help support various groups, we have brought together some of these for you.
- Equality & Diversity – Sexual Orientation Information from TARGET Jobs. Find out more about your rights and disclosure.
- LGBT – What the Equality Act means for you Learn more about the Equality Act and the rights it gives you around sexual orientation.
- https://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/equality-and-diversity/668665-equality-and-diversity-issues-and-your-graduate-job-hunt Includes careers information for transsexual and transgender students.
- Stonewall Campaign group supporting the LGBT community.
- Stonewall Top 100 employers list 2020
- Stonewall – Starting Out LGBT Careers Guide
- LGBT Foundation Get news, support, information and advice.
- DiversCity in Law – Event for LGBTQ+ students interested in a career as a lawyer in the City.
- Gay Business Association – “The LGBT professionals network for the UK”. Includes directory of member companies and useful links.
- Inside and Out – Investment banking internship open to 1st and 2nd year LGBTQ+ students.
- Lesbian and Gay Lawyers Association (LAGLA)
- oSTEM: Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (oSTEM), Inc. non-profit professional association for LGBTQ people in the STEM community.
- Press for Change – a campaigning and information site for all transsexual and transgendered people in the UK.
- Proud Employers: Job vacancies website for searching for work with LBGT friendly employers. Jobs can be searched by location, sector and job role.
Please note: We do not endorse any of the organisations these sites are linked to. They are here for your information only.